The Early Development Fund supports the development of scripts, that have the potential to make great New Zealand feature films.
What we fund
The early development of feature film scripts.
- Grant up to $25,000 per application
- Up to a total amount of $60,000 per project.
Who can apply
New Zealand producers, writers, directors or writer/directors who meet the EDF Experience Threshold.
Applications can be made either as an individual or as an individual representing a company.
When to apply
Applications close at 1pm on the following deadlines:
- Monday, 16 October 2023
- Producer Notification 11 December 2023
- Monday, 15 January 2024
- Producer Notification 11 March 2024
- Monday, 18 March 2024
- Producer Notification 13 May 2024
- Monday, 20 May 2024
- Producer Notification 15 July 2024
- Monday, 22 July 2024
- Producer Notification 16 September 2024
- Monday, 23 September 2024
- Producer Notification 18 November 2024
How to apply
Please read the Early Development Fund Guidelines and the Early Development Fund Submission checklist before registering for an account to apply online at https://funding.nzfilm.co.nz/.
You can invite team members who also have an account to collaborate on the application.
What you need
- Creative material - including a script or treatment
- Team vision - statements from the key creatives
- Background – history of the project, and any other projects you have with the Film Commission
- Budget and timeline
- Key personnel – bios of key people
- Te Rautaki Māori - If your project has Māori content, provide details of relevant consultation or engagement with Māori.
- Rights – confirmation that you have the rights to develop the script or treatment.